Kids’ Picks provides preschoolers aged 18 months to 6 years with a supplemental bag of healthy, ready-to-eat snacks that will ensure they receive all the essential vitamins and minerals needed for proper growth and development. Each bag also includes important information for parents on childhood nutrition and good eating habits.
1,500 Kids’ Picks bags are prepared by volunteers each month. The product that is used for these special bags is purchased by the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society to ensure proper nutrition.
Specific goals for the Kids’ Picks program include:
- To improve the lives of underprivileged children aged 18 months to 6 years who rely on the GVFBS by ensuring they receive foods with the necessary vitamins and minerals for proper growth and development.
- To give pre-school children living in poverty a means to reach their full potential by providing them with the appropriate nutrition to promote complete physical, mental, emotional and social development.
- To create awareness among childcare-givers about childhood nutrition and how it affects pre-school development. This will in turn help families to make healthier food choices.
- To create an enhanced societal awareness of the importance of childhood nutrition and the social responsibility of providing the necessary food for children living in poverty.
Kids’ Picks snack bags include the following items:
- 2 x fresh apples
- 1 x 325 ml bottle of 2% milk
- 2 x 200 ml juice boxes
- 2 to 4 fruit strips
- 1 x small cereal
- 2 x fruit cups
- 2 x nutritious granola bars
- 1 x snack’n lunch pull top ready to eat tuna snack