Each year, the GVFB warehouse moves over 8 million pounds of food in and out of the 33,000 square foot warehouse. The daily operations of the GVFB warehouse consists of: receiving food, sorting & inventorying food, and distributing food to our food depots and partnering agencies. The Volunteer Driver will be part of the Operations team at the Greater Vancouver Food Bank reporting to the Operations Manager.
Volunteer Supervisor: Frank Tallarico
Location: 1150 Raymur Avenue, Vancouver, BC
Dates & Times Needed: Monday to Friday, 7am – 3pm: any 3 to 4 hour shift.
Commitment Required: A minimum of 4 hours per week.
Require to be 19 yrs. & Older: Yes
Code of Conduct:
- Support the mission, vision and values of the GVFB.
- Be on time and treat everyone with kindness, dignity, and respect.
- Honor the confidentiality of members, staff, other Volunteers, sponsors, donors and community partners.
- Have a good sense of humor, being flexible and adaptable.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for pickup from Food donor locations and drop off to agencies or GVFB warehouse that are within our catchment cities (Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and North Vancouver).
- You are a team player with a willingness to contribute, an aptitude to learn and a passion for making a difference.
- Physically fit and knowledge of proper lifting techniques required to lift up to 50 lbs. on a consistent basis.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written, are required.
- On-the-job training and certification is provided in utilizing pallet-jacks and other equipment.
- Food Safe Level 1 is an asset.
Benefits & Impact:
- Helping the community we serve.
- Making an impact.
- Developing new skills.
- Connecting and making new friends.
- Receiving a confirmation or reference letter for your volunteer hours.
- A valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Submit a 2 years driver’s abstract from ICBC.
- Class 3 driver’s license would be an asset.
- Must wear proper footwear during shifts.
- Need to register as a volunteer with the Greater Vancouver Food Bank through our website and online application or fill it out at head office.
- As part of our GVFB volunteer intake process, you must attend an orientation session.
- Criminal record check; this is a free service for volunteers.
About The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB):
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank is a non-profit organization with a mission to create empowering environments that provide and promote access to healthy food, education and training. The GVFB provides assistance to over 26,500 people weekly through 13 distribution locations and more than 80 community agencies located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and North Vancouver. The GVFB is committed to its vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all and through community collaboration, is pro-actively working to help end hunger. For more information, please visit www.foodbank.bc.ca.