Title: Event Team Lead (On-Call)
Reports to: Community Engagement Manager
Direct Reports: Event Volunteers
- The Event Team Lead is a dynamic, take charge, outgoing and self-motivated individual who works on call with the primary mission of fulfilling the successful execution of an event in support of the Greater Vancouver Food Bank.
- The Event Team Lead also works with, engages and directs volunteers from diverse backgrounds that have been recruited to support the event.
- The Event Team Lead must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- The Event Team Lead must recognize they are a brand ambassador representing the Food Bank, and abide by the policies, processes and agreements as set by the Food Bank.
- To be successful in this role, the individual must be highly organized, an effective multi-tasker, a go-getter who needs minimum supervision, and focused on delivering an excellent outcome.
- An ability to think out-of-the-box and problem solve on the go are key. Well-developed communication skills, discretion, sound judgment and professionalism are paramount in this service role.
- Familiarizes themselves with the event, and the programs, services and vision and mission of the GVFB.
- Attends briefings and trainings as required to ensure the successful execution of an event.
- Gathers and picks up supplies and equipment needed for events, set-up and tear down, and is responsible for the safe return.
- Drives GVFB branded vehicle to and from events, as required.
- Leads the set up/take down and safe return of GVFB booth and equipment.
- Proactively engages with the general public at on-site community events as the GVFB brand ambassador.
- Manages the collection of both food and cash donations while on-site at community events.
- Manages and supervises on-site event volunteers.
- Delegates specific tasks to volunteers.
- Takes responsibility for the control of all money donations on event day.
- Ensures safe handling of all monies and ensures adequate training is provided to volunteers handling money.
- Assists with day of event social media promotions in coordination with GVFB Communications Team.
- Takes photos at events.
- Proactively handles any arising issues and troubleshoots any emerging problems on event day.
- Reports back on condition of inventory, collateral and vehicle, and advises to order new supplies when required.
- Provides event feedback, including post-event wrap up reports.
- Prepares post-event thank yous as requested.
- Obtains advance written approval (email or text) by Manager or Director for additional expenses that may be required to successfully execute the event.
- Provides detailed invoices/original receipts for all costs and expenses incurred on behalf of the GVFB event.
- And any related duties requested by the Community Engagement Manager or Communications Director.
- Post-secondary education in events management, fundraising, public relations, retail or customer service and/or equivalent combination of training and professional experience.
- Street team experience an asset.
- Willingly to work at different locations throughout the GVFB catchment areas.
- Experience working with and supervising volunteers.
- Has own smart phone/mobile that can be set up for Mobile Pay services.
- Must be able to drive branded GVFB vehicle.
- A willingness to wear branded GVFB clothing as provided.
- Physical activity is a part of the contract job, including the lifting of boxes (up to 40 pounds), setting up/ dismantling equipment, etc.
- Must be able to work flexible hours weekends, evenings, and holidays – occasionally on short notice.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check and a valid class 5 driver’s license with a submitted clean driving abstract
- High energy, outgoing and eager to initiate conversation with the public.
- Must be able to take initiative and self manage.
- Independent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Works well under deadline pressure.
- Good listener, accepts direction, takes charge.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- A willingness to be photographed and promoted on GVFB entities.
- Ability to contribute to social media entities at events (training provided).
- Conducts themselves professionally in all communications and interactions when representing themselves as a GVFB Event Lead.
- Treats all staff, volunteers and stakeholders with dignity and respect.
- Is consistent in words and actions.
- Abides by and maintains professional standards consistent with the GVFB’s policies, values and culture.
- On call based on calendar of events.
- Primary responsibilities are carried out in either indoor or outdoor environments.
- Working under a high degree of pressure on day of events, the Event Team Lead will ensure that all logistical aspects of events are carried out successfully.
- Physical activity is a part of the job, including the lifting of boxes (up to 40lbs each), setting up/ dismantling equipment, etc.
About The Greater Vancouver Food Bank
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank (GVFB) is a non-profit organization with a mission to empower people to nourish themselves by providing access to healthy food, education and training. The GVFB provides assistance to over 26,500 people weekly through 13 food distribution locations and more than 80 community agencies located in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. The GVFB is committed to its vision of accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all and through community collaboration, is pro-actively working to help end hunger. For more information, please visit www.foodbank.bc.ca.
MISSION: To create empowering environments that promote access to healthy food, education and training.
VISION: Accessible, healthy and sustainable food for all.